• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Vegan razors? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegan razors?

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did a search), but which (if any) razor brands are vegan? I'm in the UK, if that helps. I searched on the vegan society page, but nothing came up. This worries me! My partner was bearded once, but looks better without. We'd appreciate any advice on this!

Thanks.

Re: Vegan razors?

I've never thought about razors not being vegan. I buy cheap plastic ones.

Comment

I've never thought about razors not being vegan. I buy cheap plastic ones.
      Yes, it's one of those things that are less obviously problematic, but when you think about it, they are. I know Gilette is awful for animal testing on things, including their razors apparently, but I figure if they do it, loads of other razor manufacturers must do it too. It's just really hard to find out any information about it, and whether *any* razors are definitely vegan-friendly.

Comment

I hadn't thought about this, either.

Do you mean they might test them to see if they harm the skin?
        Be proud of who you are and never let yourself down. Nitram Nagev.

Comment

I've had a look around for info about razors. Apparently, the main concern is the lubricating strip. Like Gabbles, I use cheap ones made by Bic. These have no lubricating strip. When you are as tough as me you don't need such things.

I read somewhere that Superdrug's razors are suitable. Or there is the option of electric razors or the old razors with separate blades.

Comment

I've had a look around for info about razors. Apparently, the main concern is the lubricating strip. Like Gabbles, I use cheap ones made by Bic. These have no lubricating strip. When you are as tough as me you don't need such things.

I read somewhere that Superdrug's razors are suitable. Or there is the option of electric razors or the old razors with separate blades.
            Thanks for looking this up My partner has been using the cheap Bic ones too, but then I found out Bic as a company test on animals, and this seems to include razors (though this is a bit vague). But *then* I learn that they have 'temporarily ceased' animal testing. It's very confusing and a bit of a minefield, frankly. I'm having similar problems with shaving gel.

This is one of the crappest problems vegans face: total communication lockdown from companies, total lack of information, or contradictory information (such as Pringles self-labelling as Vegan when it's no secret the company tests on animals). It's frustrating!

I get all toiletries from the cruelty-free Superdrug now, but I wasn't aware that they do razors... I'll check today, as it's right by the veg*n cafe I always go to on Saturdays. Thanks!

Comment

I'll pop into Superdrug next week.

Comment

Thanks for looking this up My partner has been using the cheap Bic ones too, but then I found out Bic as a company test on animals, and this seems to include razors (though this is a bit vague). But *then* I learn that they have 'temporarily ceased' animal testing. It's very confusing and a bit of a minefield, frankly. I'm having similar problems with shaving gel.

This is one of the crappest problems vegans face: total communication lockdown from companies, total lack of information, or contradictory information (such as Pringles self-labelling as Vegan when it's no secret the company tests on animals). It's frustrating!

I get all toiletries from the cruelty-free Superdrug now, but I wasn't aware that they do razors... I'll check today, as it's right by the veg*n cafe I always go to on Saturdays. Thanks!
                I think this comes from the increasing misperception that veganism is just another diet, not a stance against animal exploitation.

I hope you find a suitable razor! My Dad shaves with an old straight razor, as did his dad. It's a bit of a skill to learn, especially keeping the razor honed without the use of a leather strop. It's something I would probably look into though, if I were a man.
                Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Philo
                The Saucy Vegan

Comment

Piptoporus betulinus - Birch Polypore or Razor Strop Fungus
                  Taxonomy
                  Phylum: Basidiomycota

Class: Agaricomycetes

Order: Polyporales

Family: Fomitopsidaceae

This large polypore develops from a small white spherical swelling on the side of dead or living birch trees.

Barbers used to 'strop' or sharpen their cut-throat razors on the tough, leathery surfaces of these polypores, and so they became known as the Razor Strop Fungus.

This is a very tough, bitter fungus. Although young specimens are reportedly edible they are of poor quality and are not worth collecting.
                  ht--tp://ww--w.first-nature.com/fungi/piptoporus-betulinus.php

Comment

Always assumed the strops were leather. You live and learn.

Personally use an electric hair/beard trimmer so always have stubble.

Comment

The strops usually are leather now.

Comment

Working...
                      X