• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Natural/Homemade Antiseptic for Dogs/Cats? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural/Homemade Antiseptic for Dogs/Cats?

Anyone know anything household like vinegar, lemon etc that is a safe antiseptic for dogs and cats?

For stuff like cuts and scabs.
    Purely Vegan - My vegan forum.

Re: Natural/Homemade Antiseptic for Dogs/Cats?

Re: Natural/Homemade Antiseptic for Dogs/Cats?

I was going to suggest teatree oil until I read this:

April 21, 2008...2:21 am
    beware: tea tree oil can be toxic for dogs and cats…

I just found this out because cici suddenly has a large red blotch on her neck today… she may have scratched herself… her ear infection seems to be back and I was going to put tea tree oil in her ears. I put some aloe vera on her neck straight from the plant and her neck seems better. I asked a few associates, one a healer, and she told me that she had put a lot of tea tree oil on her dog and her dog had a very negative reaction…

I cannot imagine why anyone would put tea tree oil on an animal’s skin … seems much too intense and can cause a burning sensation. so common sense would tell me not to do this … and yet I was going to put some in cici’s ears…

am glad that I did not listen to this person back in January, she said that she did not know this info then and just found out herself…

here is info I found online…

The oil is is rapidly absorbed both through the skin or when eaten and can be toxic to cats and other animals in higher dosages.

Symptoms of Tea Tree Oil Poisoning

Tea Tree Oil poisoning have been reported in both cats and dogs when applied to the skin at too high a dose. If your cat is going to have a reaction to tea tree oil, you will usually see it within 2 to 8 hours following application. Symptoms include:

loss of muscular coordination
    lethargy
    weakness
    shaking and tremors
    a change in behavior
    ht--tp://ww--w.showcatsonline.com/x/tea_tree_oil_warning.htm
    ht--tp://celiasue.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/beware-tea-tree-oil-can-be-toxic-for-dogs-and-cats/

The showcasecatsonline link brings up an error page.

Warning for dog and cat owners

But in cats all things are not equal, and their liver is not capable of processing even smaller amounts of tea tree oil. Poisonings are frequent.
    Because of this cats should never be treated with anything more than about five drops of tea tree oil per teaspoon of carrier oil. The same thing applies to small, and some medium-sized dogs.

Remember, this is for topical application only. Using a cotton swab or cotton ball only.
    ht--tp://ww--w.teatreewonders.com/toxic.html
    Be proud of who you are and never let yourself down. Nitram Nagev.

Comment

Working...
    X